Any Administrator in your firm can navigate here via Tools & Settings > Accounting Setup > Billing Rules.
Adding a New Rule
Click New Billing Rule to open the add window in the right-panel. Some of the options you see there are present for all rules; those are covered below. Others vary depending on what you select for Rule Type, so those are covered in the Rules Glossary.
- Active: This toggle determines if the rule is ‘on’ or not. If left unchecked, the rule is not in effect, which makes it easy to shuffle rules around without having to constantly add/delete. If checked, the rule is active and will be enforced.
- Rule Type: Determines the rule itself. The options here are ennumerated and explained in the Glossary.
- Description: Info about what the rule is for, why it’s there, and so forth. This is for your own records.
- Warning Message: What the user will see when notified that they’re violating the rule. Note that MerusCase does not automatically explain to the user exactly what has been violated. The phrasing and tone of your Warning Message is for you to determine.
- Action: Determines whether the rule is strictly enforced (Require rule compliance) or softly enforced (Warn). Strict enforcement means that the user will be forbidden from logging time in any way that violates the rule. Soft enforcement merely warns the user (with your Warning Message) that the time they attempted to log violates the rule, but it lets them confirm that they wish to log the time regardless. You may find either or both of these options helpful for your needs.
Editing a Billing Rule
To edit a Billing Rule, click on the Control Column (three little dots) to the left of the line item for the rule you wish to edit, then click Edit Billing Rule. Alternatively, you can click on the line item for the rule to open its details on the right, then click the Edit button.
Deleting a Billing Rule
To delete a Billing Rule, click on the Control Column (three little dots) to the left of the line item for the rule you wish to delete, then click Delete Billing Rule.